Arizona National Scenic Trail
The Arizona Trail (ANST) was designated as a National Scenic Trail in the spring of 2009. The ANST is an 800+ mile multi-use, non-motorized cross-state trail stretching from the Mexican border to the Utah border. There are approximately 100 miles of the ANST within Pinal. Pinal County manages approximately 50 miles, from Oracle to the Florence-Kelvin Highway. The remaining portions of the ANST in Pinal County are managed by the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management.
Parts of the ANST through Pinal County traverse through Arizona State Trust Lands. Please follow these simple rules while enjoying the ANST:
- The Arizona National Scenic Trail is open to non-motorized use only.
- A recreation Permit from the Arizona State Land Department is required only if you travel outside the 15-foot trail corridor.
- Please respect the ranchers that live and work in this area. Leave all gates as you find them unless signed otherwise.
- Water is scarce in the desert and you must bring all the water you need with you. Livestock water facilities (such as wells and stock tanks) are the private property of the ranching operations and may only be used with the owner's consent.
- Arizona is rich with natural and cultural resources. Please leave what you find for the benefit of the past, present, and future generations.
Pinal County offers three trailhead facilities along the ANST within Pinal County. The trailheads are located at Tiger Mine Road, Freeman Road, and the Florence-Kelvin Highway (Milepost 29).
Many thanks to our project partners: ASARCO, the Bagnall Family, the Arizona Trail Association, the County Line Riders of Catalina, and Kalamazoo Materials.
Overnight camping is allowed at the three trailhead locations listed below:
- Tiger Mine Road
- Freeman Road
- Florence-Kelvin Highway
Note: Commercial Activities on the ANST
If you are interested in operating a commercial tour / event on the Arizona National Scenic Trail you will need to acquire a Park Use Permit from the Open Space and Trails Department. Please contact us for more information.